When were the
Three Fountains born?

The place called "les Trois Fontaines"
has been around for more than 2 centuries

 

On an old postcard called "Le Clain au Trois Fontaines" (photo Gérard Simmat collection), the house on the left is the one in front of ours (48-52 avenue de Paris), and at the top of the cliff, we recognize the Chapel of the Community of Wisdom, at 42 rue de la Cueille Mirebalaise.

On Napoleon's land register, the locality "les Trois Fontaines" is located 350 m from our home, at the current n ° 75 of the avenue de Paris (formerly "main road"), where the chemin du Trait Tabouleau winds its way from Avenue de Paris to Porteau.

A fountain is also mentioned to the left of n ° 66, a few steps from our house. This fountain still exists, and you just have to go down a few steps to get there.

In front of this fountain, corresponding to the current n ° 39, was a granting office: it is there that the goods entering Poitiers were taxed. This local tax disappeared in France after the Second World War, in 1948.

"Roulage" designated
freight transport
by horse-drawn carriage

The house is located, in reality, between two localities: the Petite Vacherie (towards Paris, n ° 29 and perhaps also our number, the 27) and the "Accelerated Roulage" (towards Poitiers, n ° 23 and 25 ).

 

In the past, "roulage" referred to the transport of goods by horse-drawn carriage. At the end of the 19th century, ordinary "roulage" covered 30 to 40 km per day, while accelerated "roulage" went up to 75 km per day: Paris-Poitiers in 4 days! Since then, we have made some progress! We can therefore assume that at the beginning of the 19th century, numbers 23 and 25 included stables, hay barns, merchandise storage shelters ... Numbers 30 to 66 were the "Jardins du roulage".

You will find other old postcards
at the bottom of this page
Le Clain aux Trois Fontaines
Le Clain aux Trois Fontaines, Collection Gérard Simmat
The house was built around 1900

As for the house itself, it dates back to 1900, and on the aerial photos of Géoportail, we can note some stages of its successive enlargements since the original construction, still unchanged in 1924. Inside, the two load-bearing walls are still in wood.

 

Small curiosity: rue de la Cueille Mirebalaise (literally the hill that leads to Mirebeau), at n ° 12, a door now walled up allowed us to go down into our garden: we can still see its doorway.

Sources:

Small walk along the Clain, from North to South,
in a dozen old postcards
Le Clain au Nord de Poitiers

Les deux maisons au premier plan (à gauche avec la publicité "Suze") sont toujours présentes. La maison de droite est une pizzeria qui changera prochainement de destination

Le Clain avenue de Paris

Les trois Fontaines vue du Trait Tabouleau, au-dessus de l'avenue de Paris. Le chemin du Trait Tabouleau prend naissance au 75 de l'Avenue de Paris

La Tour du Cordier

La porte de Paris autrefois, sans voiture ni bitume. Cette tour récemment remise en valeur marque l'entrée de Poitiers par le Nord, que ce soit de Paris, de Nantes ou de Buxerolles. La Tour du Cordier, ainsi nommée car elle servit d'entrepôt à un cordier, est parfois appelée porte de Paris ou plus anciennement Tour de la Poudrière pour une raison semblable. A ne pas confondre avec l'ancienne poudrière toute proche, voir la photo correspondante.

Le Clain aux Trois Fontaines

Photo collection Gérard Simmat. Les Trois Fontaines, avec à gauche la maison du 50 avenue de Paris et au centre en haut, la chapelle de la Communauté de la Sagesse

L'ancienne poudrière

L'ancienne poudrière est le point focal du square de la Petite Villette, boulevard Chasseigne. Derrière le pont du chemin de fer de la Porte de Paris, on voit la passerelle en fer maintenant condamnée. De nos jours la tour est noyée dans la végétation et le pont moderne de l'Intendant Le Nain masque l'ancien pont...

Les Faubourgs de la Cueille

Le pont de Rochereuil est au premier plan

Sainte Radegonde

Sainte Radegonde vue du Clain

Saint Pierre et Sainte Radegonde

La cathédrale Saint Pierre et et l'église Sainte Radegonde sont vues du Clain

Le lycée des Feuillants

Le lycée des Feuillants et les Moulins de Chasseigne au premier plan

Les Moulins de Chasseigne

Les Moulins de Chasseigne sont vus d'avion, avec les Feuillants à l'arrière

Les Coteaux de Blossac

Les Coteaux de Blossac vus de sous le pont du chemin de fer (le Pont du Tunnel)

La sortie du Pont de Tunnel

Les Coteaux de Blossac, et au premier plan, la sortie du Pont du Tunnel

Le bout du tunnel !

La sortie du tunnel ferroviaire qui passe sous l'avenue de la Libération et débouche vers Saint Benoit, sur le "Pont du Tunnel"